Awards, Media, & Video Coverage
- 6.24.15: Koreh LA highlights Centro Latino for Literacy on their Summer Volunteer Guide – take a look!
- 5.18.15: Mixed Voces, Raza Development Fund’s community blog promotes Centro Latino for Literacy’s work
- 3.30.15: Press Release – “Centro Latino for Literacy partners with California libraries to increase literacy among non-literate Latino adults in California”
- 3.16.15: Mari presents on Leamos™ at the National Center for Families Learning Conference
- 3.8.15: Mari is a guest speaker on blogtalkradio, an on-demand global podcast where she talked about International Women’s Day
- 2.25.15: The Los Angeles Latino Chamber of Commerce features Leamos, Mole, y Mezcal Literacy Mixer on their website, calendar, and newsletter
- 2.13.15: Centro Latino and Leamos™ mentioned in the Azusa Beacon article titled, “Azusa Library Provides Range of Bilingual Adult Literacy Programs“
- 2.4.15: First Eventbrite campaign launched for our 3rd Annual Leamos, Mole, y Mezcal Literacy Mixer
- 1.26.15: Mari Riddle, President & CEO, is featured in the Los Angeles Business Journal as a 2015 Latino Business Awards finalist
- 1.5.15: Featured in the Los Angeles Latino Chamber of Commerce ¡Adelante! Magazine – “Centro Latino for Literacy helping generations of Latino become bi-literate.”
- 12.10.14: Noticias MundoFOX 22-KWHY aired interviews of two adult learners talking about their experience with Centro Latino and Mari Riddle on the services the organization provides to the community
- 11.14.14: The Los Angeles Latino Chamber of Commerce awarded Centro Latino the Rising Star Award at the Non-Profit Awards Luncheon
- 11.6.14: NCLR featured Centro Latino in its Affiliate Spotlight blog post – “Centro Latino is Leading the Way toward Literacy for All“
- 10.29.14: The American Libraries Magazine featured Leamos and Literacy Partner, Waukegan Public Library in “Connecting Latinos with Libraries“
- 10.15.14: Telemundo 52-KVEA featured Mari, adult learners, and literacy instructor on their morning show Acceso Total
- 10.10.14: Radio Bilingüe published “Centro Latino de Alfabetizacion sigue graduando Inmigrantes” post-Manos Amigas/Helping Hands Graduation
- 9.15.14: Great Nonprofits awarded Centro Latino with a Top Rated Nonprofit badge
- 9.11.14: ProLiteracy’s New Readers Press featured an ad about Leamos™ (Let’s Read) on their magazine
- 8.27.14: Former volunteer writes about her experience with Centro Latino on Crossroads Collaborative
- 7.21.14: Centro Latino was awarded and recognized as the NCLR Regional Affiliate of the Year at the NCLR Conference
- 7.9.14: Enfoque Los Angeles (Telemundo-52 KVEA) aired an interview of Mari along with NCLR and MAOF representatives
- 7.2.14: The Los Angeles Business Journal featured an ad about Centro Latino
- 6.25.14: Wells Fargo nominated Centro Latino for the Los Angeles Business Journal Nonprofit & Corporate Citizenship Awards
- 5.7.14: Mari was interviewed by ABC 7 after a town hall meeting at Central City Neighborhood Partners
- 3.18.14: Mari was interviewed by Patty Korscheff on Mujeres de Zion
- 3.11.14: Mari talked about Centro Latino and the Leamos, Mole, Mezcal Literacy Mixer on KPFK 90.7FM
- 2.28.14: Philanthropy News Digest published “Irvine Foundation Announces 2014 Leadership Awards“
- 2.27.14: El Clasificado wrote “Premio para Mari Riddle, educadora de latinos en Los Angeles” in recognition of Mari’s James Irvine Leadership Award
- 2.27.14: The Los Angeles Sentinel featured awardees – “The James Irvine Foundation Announces its 2014 Leadership Award Recipients“
- 2.27.14: Mari received the James Irvine Foundation Leadership Award in Sacramento
- 1.30.14: Hoy Los Angeles wrote “Nunca es tarde para aprender,” an article that features Mari and adult learners
- 1.13.14: Vida Nueva Magazine highlighted Centro Latino and its innovative way of offering literacy. Read “Promueven la alfabetización echando mano a la technología“
- 1.8.14: Centro Latino’s second online fundraising campaign “Can you read this?” is featured on LatinoLA.com
- Centro Latino’s first online fundraising campaign in support of Latino literacy – “Independencia through Literacy” – is featured on LatinoLA.com, Oct. 2, 2013.
- El Clasificado features Centro Latino’s post-Manos Amigas Celebration in “Más de 120 adultos latinos dejan atrás el analfabetismo,” Sept. 27, 2013.
- Centro Latino shares English and Spanish post-Manos Amigas Celebration press release, Sept. 26, 2013.
- Seventh Annual Manos Amigas Celebration is featured in “Adultos vencen analfabetismo en condados Orange y LA,” written by Esmeralda Fabián-Romero, La Opinion, Sept. 24, 2013.
- Centro Latino and literacy partner Azusa City Library are featured in “Nonprofit looking to expand Spanish literacy programs,” written by Melissa Masatani, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Sept. 14, 2013.
- Centro Latino announces its 7th Annual Manos Amigas Celebration and the launch of its first online fundraising campaign – “Independencia through Literacy.”
- Read Mari Riddle’s interview on “Bridging the Literacy Gap for English Language Learners” on Koreh L.A.’s blog, by Kaitlin Schluter, June 18, 2013.
- “L.A. Has Work to Do on Literacy,” Los Angeles Business Journal, February 25 – March 3, 2013, p. 75 – Op-Ed written by Mari Riddle.
- Centro Latino was featured in Stateline’s article, “As Federal Immigration Overhaul Looms, California Schools Slash Adult English Classes,” by Daniel Vock, December 19, 2012.
- Introducing Centro Latino’s newest Literacy Partners, “Delivering Literacy Through a Virtual Learning Environment,” LatinoLA.com, November 13, 2012.
- Centro Latino’s Manos Amigas/Helping Hands was featured in El Clasificado’s, “Los adultos también se gradúan” written by Alicia G. de Angela, Director of Content and Communications, El Clasificado.
- Centro Latino was featured in El Punto’s summer 2012 Back to School story “El otro regreso a clases” written by Alicia G. de Angela.
- Centro Latino received the prestigious Neighborhood Excellence Initiative grant from the Bank of America Charitable Foundation, November 2011.
- Centro Latino President and CEO, Mari Riddle and Cathay Reta, ProLiteracy California Initiative, co-authored “Building Literacy Skills and Transforming Lives” in Community Investments Magazine, Fall 2011 – Volume 23, Issue 2.
- The Jewish Community Foundation of Los Angeles awarded Centro Latino the 2011 General Community Grant for its Listos class.
- Centro Latino attends the first 2011 US Conference on Adult Literacy (USCAL). Read our Press Release.
- Richard Koffler, co-founder LatinoLA.com writes about our 2011 Manos Amigas/Helping Hands Celebration. Take a look!
- Read about María Hernández, a Centro Latino Promotora.
- Learn about adult learner Romelia Puac and why Mari Riddle received the James Irvine Foundation Leadership Award.
- Hear as 129 newly literate adults graduate at the 7th Annual Manos Amigas Celebration!
- Hear from Mari Riddle, President & CEO, as she talks about Centro Latino for Literacy on the Giving Library.
- “Literacy, Leamos, Libraries: Connecting the Dots” – Listen here!
- Centro Latino is a PBS SoCal Community Champion.
- He learned to read at age 65 and is now a marathon participant. See more.
- See Mercedes Meza’s testimonial. She is a Leamos and Listos graduate, who became a Centro Latino Promotora.
- Watch as one of our adult learner’s is interviewed by a Univision reporter.
- See Marcos Cajina’s interview, founder of Centro Latino.
- KCET coverage on Centro Latino